After reflecting on last year’s list of resolutions, I’ve been thinking a bit about what I want to focus on in 2012. (Yep, I’m fully aware that it’s already March.) I struggled a bit in creating a list of actual resolutions; given the upcoming life move to California, there are a lot of things on my to-do list (buy a car, plan a cross country road trip, sell most of my furniture) that I started to include. After jotting these initial thoughts down, though, I realized those aren’t really goals or resolutions – they simply have to get done between now and August. So, after careful consideration, here’s where I’m focusing my energy for the remainder of 2012:
- Stick to a monthly budget.
- Continue to put at least 20% of my income into savings.
- Run faster – in training for my first marathon, I found that I became a slower runner. Then I wound up with a shin-splint like injury in mid-December which equated to about 5 weeks of rest time. Now that I’m back in a regular running routine, I’d like to incorporate at least one speed work out a week.
- Set a PR in the 10K, 1/2 Marathon, and Marathon race distances.
- Run smarter – for a variety of reasons, my training schedule for the NYC Marathon last year was only about 13 weeks. This year I want to commit to a full 18-week training plan. Related to this goal, I’d like to stick to a one drink maximum on any night before long runs. (I have a feeling this will be easier said than done.)
- Get out of town/take a mini-vacation once a month. Saving up for the move to California will make it tricky to travel internationally this year, so I’m hoping local travel will satisfy my wanderlust.
- Read at least 2 books a month.
- Learn to knit.
- Get back into playing the guitar.
- Take the GRE in the late fall/early winter.
- Incorporate more discipline and training into Cop’s daily routine and take him running once a week. I think these are good, proactive ways to get Cop ready for a new home with a much bigger pack, including two other pups and a feline.
- Be better at keeping in touch. I’ve had the chance to catch up with a few former RAs in the past couple of weeks and that, coupled with the impending move, has made me realize that I have a really bad tendency to lost track of people once they’re out of a 20 or 30 block radius from me. I’m making it a goal to have at least two quality catch up sessions a month with people I don’t see on a daily/weekly basis.
- Check off at least 75% of my NYC Bucket List.
It’s a shorter list, and there’s definitely some repeats from last year (both accomplished and unfinished) but all in all, I’m looking forward to making all of these resolutions a reality.
Now it’s your turn to share – tell me one thing you’re focusing on this year. =)